I think he's called Shiine Chan in the Japanese version only. In the
English, version he is called simply Shiine.
- Full Name
- ? They are all around 12 years of age. Probably older than Chacha but
younger than Riiya.
- Brown hair, often wearing a purple robe. He wore the Ring on his
right hand before giving it up.
- Chacha, Teacher Dorothy.
- Is liked by
- Dislikes Depending on the situation
Shiine made his appearance in the first episode but only saw Chacha mid-way through
it. Fell like a ton of bricks! Like Chacha, he can perform magic and like
Chacha, he messes up sometimes (thought not as often as Chacha herself.)
His father, Access, placed him under the care of Dorothy when he was still
a baby. The reason was because Daimarou had imprisoned Shiine's mother and
Access had no choice but to do Daimarou's bidding. Not wanting Shiine to
grow up under the rule of Daimarou, he told Dorothy to take care of him and
teach him magic.
Between Shiine, Chacha and Riiya, Shiine is the smartest one, often
smelling traps and tricks. Neither Chacha nor Riiya pay any attention to
his warnings and they all end up getting trapped.
Shiine lives with Dorothy in her castle and she often makes him do all
the cleaning and cooking. When staying at the king's castle after rescuing
Chacha's parents, his mother insisted on doing all the cooking and cleaning
that he like so much (can you imagine?) Like Chacha and Riiya, he too
Shiine likes Chacha so much he fought his own father to protect her. He
lost by the way. But then Chacha Holy-Up'ed and defeated Access with a
Phoenix Sword blast. Shiine was understandably upset but was comforted when
Seravi told him the Phoenix Sword would not take anyone's life. That led to
the trio finding Shiine's mother in the following episode. What I don't
quite understand is when Shiine's mother and father were reunited, they
just left Shiine and went to start life anew! They left their son! Once
peace had returned to the land, Access was once more working for the king,
Chacha's father. Shiine had a heck of a time trying to get used to living
with his parents, which included letting the mother do all the house work.
(Don't look at me! Shiine's mother said that Shiine was a little boy and
should be out playing! Don't you wish you had a mother like that?)
Shiine is the smartest student in his class, Section Banana. Teacher
Rascal purposely gave him a difficult quesion in their examinations because
he was so clever. I suppose the Kiasu philisophy of "Think smart, act blur"
should be applied.
- He likes Chacha. Tries to impress her and convince her Riiya thinks
of his stomach more that her. Chacha doesn't return either of the boys
affections very much. She likes them both the same.
- They get along unless they are trying to get Chacha's affections.
Then it's every boy for himself. Still they both know when to put their
differences aside. I liked it when they were partners in a three-legged
race. Shiine insults Riiya by calling him a dog.
- I am sure he knows that Suzu likes him. He treats her nicely enough.
Suzu tends to admire him from a distance. She's too shy to do anything
What the rest of the cast say
- "Shiine is so smart that it scares me!"
- "I'll admit that I like Shiine....to a certain extent. But that
doesn't mean that I'll let him have Chacha."
- "At least he doesn't mess up as much as Chacha."
- "Of course he doesn't! I taught him!"
- "I'm not interested in any boy who isn't Riiya! But it's Shiine's
fault that Riiya likes Chacha. If Shiine had nabbed Chacha for himself,
Riiya would be mine!"
- "I have to agree with Marin. If Shiine had Chacha, Seravi would be
- "Shiine? Ohhhhhhh...." (Red in the face)
Facts about Shiine
- When he was young, he wet his bed and Dorothy locked him out of the
castle, apparently with out diapers! I think he wet the ground as well
when walking with Yakko!
- Keeps calling Riiya a dog since he knows Riiya hates that.
- Tries every chance he gets to convince Chacha that they don't need
- My friend thought Shiine was a girl since he wore a dress
- like robe and a ring. Then when he found out that Shiine liked
- Does all the cooking and cleaning in Teacher Dorothy's castle.
- Actually likes cooking, cleaning and doing housework.
- Fought his father, Access to protect Chacha (and lost)
- Wears briefs :)
- After much research (yeah right) and much contributions from Chacha
fans, I think that I can safely say that Shiine DOES NOT mean death in
Japanese or Chinese, although it may sound like it. In Chinese (I think
it's Mandarin) 'Si' means 'death'. In Japanese, 'Shi' means death. In the
name 'Shiine', you have to exagerate the middle 'i'. (Thanks to Yanchuu
for that bit of info) As a point of interest, in both Mandarin and
Japanese, if 'Si' or 'Shi' respectively is pronounced a little
differently, you will find that it means 'four'. Hence if you ask anyone
who originates from Japan or China (or any of my Chinese friends),
chances are they will dislike the number 'four'. As for the Japanese term
'shine', I think it still means 'death' but perhaps in a different tense
or grammatical structure (maybe dead or die etc.)